I don't like to peak too soon, so I've left it until nearly a week into the New Year before making my resolutions. Mainly, because I want to bed into the routine of daily life after the break before committing myself to changes to my life. Here are my ambitions for 2014.
2. Get fitter by going out for a run at least twice a week. Last year I ran a half marathon in February and then did nothing. This year i want to take part in at least one 10k and one half marathon by the end of the year. I use the mapmyrun app (username Boweryj) so you can follow my progress and maybe even buddy up.
3. Plan meals on a weekly basis so I don't spend hours stressing about what we're going to eat for dinner. I'm hoping this will also reduce food waste and save money.
4. Get a better work/life balance so I can see more of my children. Last year I set up a freelance marketing, PR and proofreading business: Cosmic Frog. I want to really make a go of it this year, so it will be my main source of income by September when my daughter starts school. This would enable me to do the majority of school runs and take time out for school holidays and for events like school plays and sports days.
5. Blog more regularly - ideally at least 3-4 times per week. I love writing and, as a former journalist, I'd love to get back into writing for money, so I hope that blogging will help me practice and hone my long dormant skills.
6. Get more organised around the house. The clutter we have amassed since moving here 5 years ago is frightening and it really gets me down. I plan to tackle one small area per week so by the end of the year the house is ship shape.
I wonder how I'll get on. Check out this blog for regular updates on my progress. What are your New Year's resolutions for 2014?